Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My First Wedding Invitation Design...8 yrs ago

After a consultation many clients have often commented that they imagine my own wedding invitations to have been the most spectacular ever! I just smile and remind them that it was after designing my own invitations that I discovered the joy of couture stationery design! I didn't have all the tools available back then as I have now. I worked as a graphic designer in a corporate setting, and would occasionally craft on the weekends, so I didn't have all the different paper options I now carry in my own shop. They did, however, portray who we are and what we envisioned for our big day.

Hubby and I had decided we wanted to have a big Mexican fiesta, with a Mariachi band playing during the reception, Mexican Folkoric dancers, a Mexican buffet, and we knew the wedding would take place in an old Spanish-Style church down town Palm Springs and our reception would take at Cree Estate, an hacienda-style home in Cathedral City.

With that in mind I created an illustration that portrayed us as we envisioned ourselves on our wedding day...me in a traditional wedding dress and hubby in a "Charro" suit. The invitaiton was wraped in metallic off-white shimmery paper, which enclosed a matching RSVP card and a map to the reception, then tied with a big red bow. Note: I'm not big on bows, and I rarely use them in my designs nowadays, but I had to use the ribbon to secure all the pieces together.

I also used the same illustration as a cover for individual guest books (shown above) that were placed at every seat, for guests to fill out. It was kind of an activity book where we asked them to draw them selves, write us a note, answer a questionnaire and other neat things that would keep them entertained if they found themselves not socializing during the reception.

So for those curious minds, above is a glimpse of what my stationery looked like. I know I've come a long way since then. As they say, practice makes perfect, and I know that every new project allows me to continue to grow as a designer.

No comments: