Tuesday, December 25, 2007

3rd Annual Green Christmas


As the concern for the environment grows, my family has adopted an unusual gift-wrapping tradition.

It started when I became a mother - all of a sudden everything had a different meaning, and I worried about everything that affected my baby, including global warming.

That was the year I decided I wasn't going to spend a cent purchasing tissue paper, wrapping paper, and gift tags which would only end up in trash cans. Even if everything were recycled, I still didn't want to create more trash. Instead, I ended up decorating several formula containers and using them to place gifts in. When that wouldn't work, I went into my kitchen and used cereal boxes, oatmeal containers, soda boxes, etc. I would just place the gift inside the box, tape it shut, write the name with a sharpie, and add a bow.

This new method of gift wrapping is actually pretty fun, and the gifts don't look too bad under the tree! People always get a kick out of the containers their presents are delivered in, and I see it as a way to show off other designer's work. All these printed boxes are the work of a graphic designer out there, so why not show off their work under a new light?
Now that my daughter, my nephew and niece are a bit older, we gift-wrap only their gifts so we don't spoil the fun involved in paper tearing. But everybody else, six years and over, gets an environmentally friendly enclosed gift.

As the years go by, I hope to take the idea of a Green Christmas even further by gettting other friends and family members involved. There are many things we can do, but that's a whole new blog entry.
Hope everyone enjoyed many happy times this holiday!
Warmly,
Dio & Family

No comments: